Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Conscience

So, yesterday I finished Conscience by John Skipp. This is the novella included with The Long Last Call, and I actually enjoyed it more than the headliner. I think that mainly is a factor of anticipation and predictability.

I had no idea what to expect from Conscience and that made it a real surprise.

***Spoiler Alert***
1. I saw this book in my local supermarket, so there is no excuse not to get it.
2. Read it. Fun reading. Quick reading. No excuse.
3. Come back and chat.
***Spoiler Alert***




Conscience opens with an excellent memory of the narrator's childhood that really sets everything up great. The thing I like most about this story is the way it unfolds from being a gritty hitman story into this personal tale of transformation and realization, in the midst of a worldwide shift. Things that seem like background information or setting become important details.

The way Skipp handles the internal dialog was excellent. Even though this narrator is a tough as nails killing machine, his epiphanies are realistic and well done. Human.

I 'm going to have to read this again. It's one of those stories that changes after you finish it.

No comments: