Friday, October 26, 2007

His Majesty's Dragon

I was thrilled recently when Audible got the unabridged versions of Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels. I eagerly picked up the first book, His Majesty's Dragon, having heard an interview with the author on the Dragon Page Podcast. At first I was very jealous of how "easily" she has achieved success, but the books sounded so intriguing. I am a big fan of the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell, and the addition of dragons to the Napoleonic wars had me hooked.

This book was everything I hoped it would be and more. It just kicked ass. OMG, I can't even express how much. I loved it. I haven't been able to start anything new and I am sorely tempted to get the second book even before my Audible subscription rolls over in November.

If you like Dragons and a bit of history and don't have anything against military fiction, this book will rock you. The dragons are so cool and detailed. The hero is complex, honorable and flawed without being an anti-hero.

Loved it. Highly recommended.

No comments: